What is the relationship between Pancha Mahabhuta and Rashi in Jyotisha?
As the material world is made up of five great elements/PanchaMahabhuta, everything is associated it with. Similarly in Jyotish the 12 constellation are also related with it. It shows which constellation/Rashi is characterized by which Tatwa.
According to classification by Brihat Parashar Horashastra from 4.6-4.24:
(1) Ar(Mesha), Le(Simha) and Sg(Dhanu) are called agni rasis or fiery rasis.
(2) Ta(Vrisha), Vi(Kanya) and Cp(Makara) are called bhoo rasis or earthy rasis.
(3) Ge(Mithun), Li(Tula) and Aq(Kumbha) are called vaayu rasis or airy rasis.
(4) Cn(Karkat), Sc(Vrischik) and Pi(Meen) are called jala rasis or watery rasis.
(5) The 5th element of aakaasa or ether is present in every rasi.
Significance in Jyotish:
This classification of Rashi based on the Panchatatwa is of great significance in Jyotish. We can find the nature of person by studying the Tatwas and their potencies in a birth chart.
For example, the 5th house in one’s chart shows one’s emotional nature. The 5th house in a fiery sign may show a normally angry, aggressive or determined person. The 5th house in an earthy sign may show a balanced, logical and stable person. The 5th house in an airy sign may show someone with unstable and wandering emotions. The 5th house in a watery sign may show one with an imaginative and creative mind.