What do ancient scriptures, texts and traditions tell us about the river Indus (Sindhu)?
Are there references to the Indus River Civilisation in the Mahabharata?
Has there been a significance of Indus like Ganga?
Rigveda Mandala 10 Shuktha 75 describes Sindhu river.
- Waters, the worshipper addresses to you excellent praise in the dwelling of the institutor of the rite; they flowed by sevens through the three (worlds); but the Sindhu surpasses (all) the (other) streams in strength.
- For your course, Sindhu, Varuna tore open a path, since you hastened towards food; you go by a lofty road down upon the earth, by which (road) you reign in the sight of all worlds.
- The sound goeth forth in heaven above the earth; (Sindhu) with shining wave animates his endless speed; as rains issue thundering from the cloud, so Sindhu (thunders) when he advances roaring like a bull.
- Like mothers crying for their sons (the other rivers) hasten towards you, Sindhu, like milch cows with their milk; you lead your two wings like a king going to battle when you march in the van of the streams that are descending (with you).
- Accept this my praise, Ganga, Yamuna, Sarasvati, Sutudri, Parusni, Marudvedha with Asikni, and Vitasta,
- You, Sindhu, in order to reach the swift-rnoving Gomati, have united, yourself first with the Trstama: (now be united) with the Susartu, the Rasa, the Sveti, the Kubha, and the Mehatnu, in conjunction with which streams you do advance. listen, Arjikiya with SuSoma.
Straight-flowing,white-coloured,bright-shining(Sindhu) bear along in its might the rapid waters; the inviolable sindhu, the most efficacious of the efficacious, is speckled like a mare' beautiful as a handsome woman.
The sindhu is rich in horses, rich in chariots, rich in clothes, rich in gold ornaments, well-made, rich in food, rich in wool, ever fresh, alounding in Silama plants, and the auspicious river wears honey-growing (flowers).