I got this from this website which mentions about Do's and Don'ts during eclipses:
- You should finish your breakfast/lunch/dinner at least 10 hours
- Put minimum 2 blades of darba/kusha (grass) on top of each container
of food items like, rice, atta, dal, raw vegetables, ghee, milk,
curd, pickle etc. This darba grass is put to prevent the harmful
radioactive waves generated during the eclipse from making the food
harmful to us.
Any food which is cooked on fire that day and has been consumed
like,roti, chapatti, rice, sambar/dal, curry etc should be thrown
away and not kept in the fridge.
Uncooked raw items to be used daily/regularly should be protected with
darba grass blades.
- when the actual Grahan period starts, you should have a head bath
with clothes on (dhoti and angavastram/uparna) and during the bath
chant the Grahana protection mantras.
- After bath, change to dry clothes (dhoti and angavastra) and sit on a
mat and start “Mantra Japa”.
Men who have had their upanayan sanskar can do Gayatri Japa. Each
Gayatri you chant will give you merits or phal of 1 crore Gayatri
- Those who have not had upanayan sanskar/ladies and children can chant
any mantra of their Ishta devata. Like “Shivaya Namah”, or “Vishnave
Namaha” or “Durgayay Namaha” or even slokas or Sahasranamas. This
mantra Japa should continue till the end of Grahana.
- In case you have some danam (donation) to give then you might have to
cut short your japa at little before the end of the eclipse and make
time to give dana.
- Shastras mention you can give gold/silver/rice/clothes/money to a
So, this website says as per Dharma Sastras it is okay to chant