Shodashopachar (षोडशोपचार) is described in BrahmaVaivarta Purana (ब्रह्मवैवर्त पुराण) 4.8.10. i.e
Khanda - 4 (Sri Krishna Janma Khanda)
Adhyaya - 8 (Sri Janmastami-vrata-pujopavasa-nirupana Vows Worship and Fasting on Sri Janmastami)
Sloka 10 onwards.
You can go through Sanskrit text with appropriate translation.
Here is sample of Sankshipt Brahma Vaivarta Purana Hindi interpretation by Gitapress:
I'm here quoting text from here:
sopacarani sodasa phalany astau ca mistani
dravyany eva hi narada
puja-dravyani - things for worship; caruni - beautiful; sopacarani -
with worship; sodasa - sixteen; phalany - fruits; astau - eight; ca -
and; mistani - sweet; dravyany - things; eva - indeed; hi - indeed;
narada - O narada.
place there O Narada sixteen articles for worshiping the Lord eight
fruits and candies .
jati-phalam ca kakkolam
dadimbam sriphalam tatha narikelam ca jambiram
kusmandam ca manoharam
jatiphalam - jatiphala; ca - and; kakkolam - kakkola; dadimbam -
pomegranate; sriphalam - Sriphala; tatha - so; narikelam - coconut; ca
- and; jambiram - jambira; kusmandam - kusmanda; ca - and; manoharam - beautiful.
the eight fruits and candies being jatiphala kakkola pomegranate
sriphala coconut jambira kusmanda and manohara.
Texts 12 and 13
asanam vasanam padyam
madhuparkam tathaiva ca arghyam acamaniyam ca
snaniyam sayanam tatha
gandha-puspam ca naivedyam
tambulam anulepanam dhupa-dipau bhusanam cai-
asanam - a seat; vasanam - garments; padyam - padya; madhuparkam -
madhuparka; tatha - so; eva - indeed; ca - and; arghyam - arghya;
acamaniyam - acamana water; ca - and; snaniyam - water for bathing;
sayanam - a bed; tatha - so; gandha-puspam - fragrances and flowers;
ca - and; naivedyam - offering of food; tambulam - betelnust;
anulepanam - ointments; dhupa - incense; dipau - lamps; bhusanam -
oprnaments; ca - and; upcarani - articles; sodasa - sixteen.
and the sixteen articles for worship being a sitting place garments
padya madhuparka arghya water for acamana water for bathing a bed
fragrances flowers food-offerings betelnuts ointments incense lamps
and ornaments .
Next mantras provides the method for worshiping, quoting only English translation for further text:
wash his feet put on clean clothes perform acamana say the word svasti" sit on the seat .
place a pot there worship the five deities invite Sri Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead to appear there .
invite Vasudeva Devaki Yasoda, Nanda Rohini Balarama Goddess Sasthi Goddess Vasundhara .
Rohini Brahma Asthami the Sthana-devata Asvatthama Bali Hanuman Vibhisana .
Krpacarya Parasurama Vyasadeva and Markandeya and then meditate on
Then a wise person should place a flower to his head and meditate on
the description of the Lord spoken in the Sama Veda O Narada please
listen and I will tell you that description which Lord Brahma‘ told
the Kumaras in ancient times.
I worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead who is an infant boy who
is splendid as a dark monsoon cloud who is very handsome whose lotus
face is smiling whom Brahma Siva Sesa and Yama glorified for hou many
days? whom the kings of sages cannot approach in their meditations
whom the munis siddhas and sons of Manu cannot attain whom the kings
of the yogis cannot imagine in their thoughts who is the greatest who
is without peer who is all-seeing witness.
The follower of this vou should thus meditate on the Lord Then
reciting mantras he should offer the flower and all the other articles
to the Lord Please hear these mantras.
Here are the mantras O Lord Krsna please accept this all- beautiful
jewel throne wonderfully decorated with graceful and colorful pictures
- O Lord Krsna please accept these wonderful and colorful garments pure
as fire and made by Visvakarma‘ from threads of pure gold
- O Lord Krsna please accept this golden pot filled with water to wash
Your feet Please accept this pure padya water and this beautiful
- O Lord Krsna please accept these gold pots of honey ghee yogurt milk
- O Lord Krsna please accept this durva‘ grass whole rice white flower
clear water sandal aguru and musk.
- O Supreme Lord please accept this clear pure sweet scented acamana
- O Lord Krsna please accept this scented Visnu-oil amalaki paste and
- O Lord Krsna please accept this beautiful bed made of the best of
jewels and covered with exquisite cloth.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this scented paste made of musk the
- O Supreme Lord please accept this fragrant flower so dear to all the
demigods and grown from a blossoming tree.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this offering of ripe fruits sugar-candy
svastika‘ candy and other candies.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this laddu modaka ghee milk molasses honey
fresh yogurt and buttermilk.
- O Lord Krsna please accept these betelnuts mixed with camphor and
other things which I offer to You with devotion.
- O Supreme Lord please accept this beautiful avira powder made with
sandal aguru musk and kunkuma.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this incense made by cooking the nectars
of many trees incense very dear to all the demigods.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this splendid and auspicious lamp that
destroys the terrible blinding darkness.
- O Lord Krsna please accept this pure drinking-water scented with
camphor and other fragrances water that is the life of all living
- O Lord Krsna as an ornament for Your transcendental body please
accept this garland of many flowers on a fine thread
- O Supreme Lord please accept these fruits which are the seeds of
trees and which make one's dynasty prosper.
In this way at that place one should offer many appropriate things to
In brief, Shodash Upachara includes:
- Madhuparka (Panchamrit)
- Dhoop Dip