Why first hair removal for kids is done at age of 1st and 3rd year and some places they do in 2nd year?
Which one is more appropriate and why?
First hair removal that is also known as Chudakarma is mostly performed either in first year or third year. But some scriptures allow to perform it in fifth year, seventh year or according to family customs. This Samskara is necessary for spiritual growth.
- According to the teaching of the revealed texts, the Kudakarman (tonsure) must be performed, for the sake of spiritual merit, by all twice-born men in the first or third year.
- The Kûdâkarana '(tonsure rite) should take place in the third year.
- In the third year after his birth the Kaula (or tonsure is performed) under (the Nakshatra of) the two Punarvasus.
After one year the Kûdâkarman (i.e. the tonsure of the child's head);
Or in the third year;
In the fifth for a Kshatriya;
In the seventh for a Vaisya.
When (the son) is one year old, the Kûdâkarana (i.e. the tonsure of his head, should be performed),
Or before the lapse of the third (year).
- In the third year (he performs) the Kûdâkarman (i.e. the tonsure of the child's head).
- Now follows the tonsure of the child's head, in the third year.
‘Tonsure is to be performed according to family-custom.’
‘Tonsure in the third year; or in accordance with the custom of the family.’