The festival of Diwali is associated with many legends:
- The first day of Dhan Trayodashi is the day when Goddess Lakshmi appeared from the Samudra Manthan.
- Next comes Narak Chaturdashi is when Lord Krishna killed the demon Narkasur.
- The next day of Amavasya celebrated as Deep-awali is when Lord Rama and Sita returned to Ayodhya after defeating Ravan.
- This is followed by Govardhan Puja or Annakut on the next day.
- The final day of the festival is Bhai-duj which is also called Yamadvitiya since it is associated with Yama, the god of Death and his sister Yamuna the second day after new moon.
Chronologically, I guess the Samudra Manthan episode could have come first followed by the Yam-Yamuna episode; then the Ramayan episode and finally the two days related to Krishna. My question is, which is the oldest reference to each of these celebrations?