This question already has an answer here:
- Who was Lord Hayagriva? 4 answers
In context to this question about Lord Hayagriva, considered as the avatara of Lord Vishnu, I have some clarification to do.
- Hayagriva, I think is not a Lord Vishnu's Avatar, but a Vishnu Himself but in different form (as Lord Hayagriva is not mentioned in the Dashavatar List)
- The Incident mentioned Lord Hayagriva getting vedas, is similar to Lord Vishnu getting vedas back from Rakshasa Hayagriva in Matsya Avatar.
- Hayagriva, as mentioned in the referenced question's answer, means Horse Neck, then why the Rakshasa got that name?
- Or there is no Rakshasa named as Hayagriva.
This is the link which is the main source of creating confusion, please clarify. What I think is we are not interpreting the scriptures rightfully.