I currently live in an area which has a high Indian population. I've noticed a number of Indian men and women with various marks and dots on their foreheads but have never asked about the significance behind these for fear of offending them. I genuinely want to know what they mean.
Here's what I've seen:
- A single black dot (quite small)
- A single red dot (quite small)
- A single red dot (much larger)
- A single red dot (smudged and near the hairline)
- A yellow vertical line
- A white vertical line
- A white vertical line with hairline red dot
What do these all mean, and are there others that I may not be aware of?
I guess I'm more wondering if there is a more modern context to these markings than the "third-eye" or channeling chakras, etc.?